Woods withdraws from U.S. Open

Woods has won 79 PGA tournaments. Andrew Weber-USA TODAY Sports

Tiger Woods, who had microdiscectomy surgery for a pinched nerve in his back March 31, officially withdrew from the 2014 U.S. Open on Wednesday.

“Unfortunately, I won’t be there because I’m not yet physically able to play competitive golf,” said Woods in his announcement on TigerWoods.com.

It will be his second consecutive missed major and the sixth major as a professional he will miss because of injury. Woods has not played since the WGC-Cadillac Championship on March 9, falling to No. 3 in the world behind Adam Scott and Henrik Stenson. Woods said last week that he had not progressed beyond chipping and putting and did not give a timetable to return.

“The U.S. Open is very important to me and I know it’s going to be a great week,” Woods said. “Despite missing the first two majors, and several other important tournaments, I remain very optimistic about this year and my future.”

The U.S. Open will take place June 12-15 at Pinehurst Resort.